- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 120 g butter
- 700 g diced pumpkin
- 3-5 bacon rashers, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Melt butter and fry onion, bacon and mushroom until onion is transparent and bacon is almost crisp. I usually add some garlic at this point, because garlic improves everything!
- Spread pumpkin onto baking sheet ready to bake! (The recipe originally just put this into the casserole, but I like it baked and it isn't anymore work to roast it while it is cooking and stir it through at the end, I find it takes a very similar amount of time to cook)
- Put all remaining ingredients in a casserole dish. Mix well.
- Cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until rice is tender
Now I realise this dish doesn't lend itself to presentation perfectly, but it does taste delicious. I have never tried it but I am sure you could substitute the pumpkin, mushrooms and bacon for other things. I am envisioning it with chorizo and sweet potato.
I hope you enjoy -if you try any other flavour combinations I would love to hear about them!